Saturday, February 15, 2014

Sew Historical Fortnightly 2014 #3

So this challenge was giving me some trouble in that I don't really like pink, and none of the costumes I'm making for the Victorian Femme Supernatural Cosplay utilize pink (considering they are all based on men's outfits from a show where the bad guys are mass murders and the good guys are also mass murders, this is unsurprising). I considered skipping the challenge, until I found this article about Victorian hair falls. It's too early in the period for the costumes I'm already making, but ever since I got my dreadlocks, I've realized how awesome I look with hats and other head accessories. I stuck with a floral look, and I this is what I came up with:

The supplies: a beaded garland, fake pearls, jute ribbon, a St. Patty's day headband with the clover ripped off, and some fake flowers.

I used wire to secure the pieces to the headband, and then covered the whole thing in jute ribbon.

Pearls were then sewn on to give a little extra detail. I was going to have dangling pearls, but I got lazy.

My completed hair fall, with pink beads and fake mini-roses, allowing it to qualify for the challenge. It's very "spring" without being overly girly. And finally, me wearing the finished product:

I tied my dreads into pigtails and then put on my headband. It's a lot going on, but I think I can pull it off.

The details:
The Challenge: Pink

Fabric: Not actually sewn, but the supplies are a headband, garland, fake flowers, beads, and some ribbon.

Pattern: Just made it up as I went, following The Pragmatic Costumers general guideline.

Year: 1840s or 50s.

Notions: Beige thread to match the ribbon and wire to secure everything.

How historically accurate is it?  The flowers and the beaded garland are plastic, but I know that fake pearls have been used since the Renaissance (I doubt mine followed an accurate faux pearl recipe, but cheapness is always accurate)

Hours to complete:  Two, maybe three. I had it done in an evening.

First worn:  I've yet to wear it, but once it's closer to Spring I think I'll give it a spin.

Total cost:  About $15. All of the supplies were on sale, plus I get a sweet, sweet employee discount.





3 comments:

  1. I feel the same about pink. But this is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look like a fairy princess! Adding the pearls to the headband was pure brilliance and I may have to borrow your idea for my next set. :)

    ReplyDelete