Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Historical Sew Fortnightly #23

So I actually had this challenge completed almost two weeks ago, but I was lazy about taking pictures and writing this post. I knew months ago what I wanted to make for this challenge, and was happy to actually be able to accomplish it. Although most probably wouldn't consider it to be modern wear, I really wanted a short sleeved Viking linen gown to wear as a summer dress. I love the comfort of loosely fitted gowns, and I wanted something long and linen and perfect for the day to day. Here is what I made:
The full gown, still wrinkled from the last time I wore it.
Close up of the embroidery. I intend to do similar embroidery on the sleeves.
Close up of the neckline.
The gown being worn. This is also the best representation of the color.
The gown is a long rectangle, the width of half my bust plus some ease, and folded at the shoulder. It is gored from the low waist down to the hem, adding an extra 26 inches per gore. One gore was pieced to conserve fabric. The sleeves are rectangles, and there are underarm gussets. All seams were flat-felled.

The hem facing, sleeve and neckline detail are mustard colored wool, with the visible edges whipped down with cotton thread over wool yarn as filler thread. The embroidery is chain stitch.

I have worn this dress repeatedly, and I love it. I plan to make a leather vest or waist cincher to wear over it to make it more fitted and more modern looking.

The Breakdown:
The Challenge: #23 Modern History

Fabric: Green linen-blend, yellow wool-blend

Pattern: None, made it myself

Year: 9-13th century

Notions: Cotton thread, cotton embroidery floss, wool yarn

How historically accurate is it? The pattern is good. However both the linen and the wool were blended with rayon, and all of the seams were machine stitched. And besides the underarm gussets, all the flat-felled seams were also machine stitched. The embroidery is my own pattern, so unknown accuracy, but the chain stitch was used. This is probably my worst, say 20%.

Hours to complete: 5 for the dress, 15 for the embroidery

First worn: The day it was finished, to go out to dinner with my husband

Total cost: The wool was a remnant, the embroidery floss was inherited, and the yarn was clearance. All told, I think it was $25-30.

No comments:

Post a Comment