Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Mary of Hapsburg Hemd

So a while ago I came across an image somewhere (I want to say Pinterest, but I don't remember for certain.)
Website with details and other images here
In fact, I'm not entirely certain that this was the view that set me off, all I remember is clicking through and knowing, KNOWING, 'I have to make that!'

But I was in the middle of other projects and thus it remained as a note in the back of my brain. But now? Now I am determined to start it. I had already picked up some thin linen and metallic embroidery thread for the hemd or chemise, so last night I cut the pieces, and today assembly started. The pieces are big. The front and back pieces are 71 inches, and the sleeves are 48 inches. And all of that gets pleated down to the neckline. I thought I was prepared for the amount of work that entailed, but I forgot something. That 6+ yards of fabric needs to be hemmed first, before the smocking can begin. Did I mention I want this outfit to be accurate, and thus handstitched?

What have I got myself into?

No comments:

Post a Comment