Sunday, January 12, 2014

Plan of Attack

I'm starting to get down to the big scary part of this whole costuming project: the part where I decide I've done enough research and start actually making things. I made up a worksheet to fill in my friends' measurements, both before and after corset, so I can start gathering numbers for drafting. First things first, a chemise and drawers for everyone, and ordering the hardware for corsets. Then corsets, bustles, petticoats, skirts, bodices, and jackets for those who will be wearing them. I considered doing everything outfit by outfit, but doing all of one type will make it easier for me to transition from one project to the next. Plus, I can have friends doing skirt trimmings while I work on bodices so I won't be doing all the things.

I still have Gabriel's outfit to design, but that's the only thing left. I bought paper for pattern drafting, and I have a LOT of muslin for mock-ups and underpinnings. The hard thing is, I have two friends I can see daily, one friend I usually only see weekly, and one that I'm lucky to see once a month. I'm not going to be working for a while, so I may make a trip up to visit her to get her measurements so I can't use that as an excuse for procrastination.

Five full Victorian outfits in 10 months. That's doable, right? Right???

No comments:

Post a Comment